Friday 2 April 2010

Parenthood Inherited.

Suz and I married, and moved in together. That's kind of what happens, normally.

What doesn't normally happen is that you become a parent, instantly. You see Suzanne had a child from her past marriage, Devin, who was 5. I had an idea what marriage would be like, I had an idea what living with someone would be like, I had no idea what parenthood was like. I didn't even have younger brothers or sisters to use as a metric. My three sisters were at least 9 years older than me. I was thrust into a world at the end where the olympic diving boards were placed. I wasn't afforded the option of a gentle ease in, nor was I given the opportunity to see how it went. This was it. For good.

I am pleased to say that as months progressed, as years went by (3 and a half as I write this) things went remarkably well. Yes, we suffered trials and tribulations; being a step dad is not easy. You are oft' between a rock and hard place, being unsure of your true place in the scheme of things and often at the peril of the diposition of 'the other side' family, but, that aside, it's something that can enrich and enhance your life in a way I could never have imagined.

So with parenthood inherited under my belt I was left with only one logical forward step. Become a real dad. And this is where this blog shall begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment