Wednesday 29 December 2010

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Words uttered Elizabeth Stone, some 200 or so years ago. Words that stand true today and I'm sure for generations to come. In your youth, whilst you have the privilege of a lack of appurtenance, you have the world at your feet, and your heart perhaps as saliently is entirely your own. You may chose to share such a precious de rigueur with a loved one but it's only when you have children that you discover the requisite requirement of handing your heart over completely, totally and utterly. Over the last few months I have turned into the kind of doting parent I was once baffled by, looking on, wondering why such small, loud, worry-inducing bundles could hold on to the key to such a grandiose thing as ones heart. I spend my days wistfully longing to be home to spend time with Olivia and am positively mirthful when the clock-settable gummy smile greets me at the door.

Today spelled out a new dawn for Suzy and I as we took delivery of a new car seat, one that faces forward rather than backward; an oppose that any parents will know spells out a significant step in growth. Olivia has progressed so much in the last few weeks. We have been graced with new found giggles, gurgles, and high pitched squeals that despite causing significant damage to my hearing, has been wonderful to see.

Jules Verne said that there is one thing remarkable about the future, that being that it is never futuristic. The same obscured-in-front-of-your-eyes change can be said of childhood. She'll have her own car soon...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment